Arise, O glorious Zion
Sacred Hymns (Manchester Hymnal)
(1840, 1912 ed.),
1. Arise, O glorious Zion,Thou joy of latter days.Whom countless Saints rely on,To gain a resting place;Arise, and shine in splendor,Amid the world’s deep night;For God, thy sure defender,Is now thy life and light.
2. Lef faithful Saints be rearingThe city of our Lord,On mountain tops appearing,According to His word—A sought-out habitation,By men of truth and faith—A covert of salvationFrom ignorance and death.
3. The Temple long expectedShall stand on Zion’s hill,By willing hearts erected,Who love Jehovah’s will;Let earth, her wealth bestowing,Adorn His holy seat,For nations great shall flow in,To worship at His feet.
4. What though the world in maliceDespise these mighty things,We’ll build the Royal Palace,To serve the King of kings;Where holy men anointedTo know His sovereign will,Each ordinance appointedTo save us, will reveal.
5. From Zion’s favored dwellingThe Gospel issues forth,The covenant revealingTo gather all the earth;And Saints, the message bringingTo all the sons of men,With the redeemed, shall, singing,To Zion come again.
6. O hear the proclamation,And fly as on the wind!For righteous indignationShall desolate mankind!Then, Zion, men shall prize thee,And bow before thy shrine;And they who now despise theeShall own thy light divine.
7. Though painful tribulationWe walk the narrow road,And battle with temptation,To gain that blest abode;But patient, firm endurance,With glory in our view—The Spirit’s bright assurance—Will bring us conq’rors through.
8. O grant, Eternal Father,That we may faithful be,With all the just to gather,And Thy salvation see!Then, with the hosts of heaven,We’ll sing the immortal theme—To Him be glory given,Whose blood did us redeem.