Spirit of Faith, come down
(1840, 1912 ed.),
1. Spirit of Faith, come down,Reveal the things of God,And make to us the Godhead known,And witness with the blood.
2. ’Tis Thine the blood t’ apply,And give us eyes to see;Who did for every sinner die,Did surely die for me.
3. No man can truly sayThat Jesus is the Lord,Unless Thou take the vail away,And breathe the living word.
4. Then, only then, we feelOur int’rest in His blood,And cry, with joy unspeakable,“Thou art my Lord, my God!”
5. O that the world might knowThe all-atoning Lamb!Spirit of Faith descend and showThe virtue of His name.
6. The grace which all may find,The saving power impart;And testify to all mankind,And speak in every heart.
7. Inspire with living faith,Which whosoe’er receives,The witness in himself he hath,And consciously believes,
8. The faith that conquers all,And doth e’en mountains move,And saves all who on Jesus call,And perfects them in love.