Glorious things of thee are spoken
Sacred Hymns (Manchester Hymnal)
(1840, 1912 ed.),
1. Glorious things of thee are spoken,Zion, city of our God!He whose word cannot be broken,Chose thee for His own abode.
2. On the Rock of Ages founded,What can shake thy sure repose?With salvation’s walls surrounded,Thou mayst smile on all thy foes.
3. See! the streams of living waters,Springing from celestial loveWell supply the sons and daughters,And all fear of drought remove.
4. Who can faint while such a riverEver flows their thirst t’assuage?Grace, which like the Lord the giver,Never fails from age to age.
5. Round each habitation hov’ring,See the cloud and fire appear,For a glory and a cov’ring,Showing that the Lord is near.
6. Thus deriving from their bannerLight by night and shade by day,Sweetly they enjoy the Spirit,Which He gives them when they pray.
7. Blest inhabitants of Zion,Purchased with the Savior’s blood;Jesus, whom their souls rely on,Makes them Kings and Priests to God.
8. While in love His Saints He raises,With Himself to reign as King;All, as Priests, His solemn praisesFor thank-off’rings freely bring.
9. Savior, since of Zion’s cityI through grace a member am,Though the world despise and pity,I will glory in Thy name.
10. Fading are all worldly treasures,With their boasted pomp and show;Heavenly joys and lasting pleasures,None but Zion’s children know.