Hark, Ten Thousand Thousand Voices
Author: Thomas Raffles
Composer: Joseph J. Daynes
This song text has been indexed at SingPraises.net in the following languages:
Most common tunes for “Hark, Ten Thousand Thousand Voices”
This chart shows the tunes that are paired with this text most frequently, in hymnbooks and other collections published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If the text appears with the same tune in multiple editions or translations of the same hymnbook, it is only counted once.
Appearances of “Hark, Ten Thousand Thousand Voices” over time
This timeline shows which tunes have been used with this text over time, in hymnbooks and other collections published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
English (Original Language)
Hymns (1948, 1979), no. 249
1. Hark, ten thousand thousand voices Sing the song of jubilee! Earth, through all her tribes, rejoices, Broke her long captivity. Hail, Immanuel! Great Deliverer! Hail Immanuel! praise to thee! Now, the theme, in pealing thunders, Through the universe is rung; Now in gentler tones the wonders Of redeeming grace are sung.
2. Wider now and louder rising Swells and soars the lofty strain; Earth’s unnumbered tongues comprising, Hark! the Conqueror’s praise again. Hail, Immanuel! Great Deliverer! Stones shall speak if we refrain; Thus, while heart and pulse are beating, To his name let praise arise, Till from earth the soul, retreating, Joins the chorus of the skies.
3. Then in loftier, sweeter numbers We shall sing Immanuel’s praise, Free from all that now encumbers Nobler songs our voices raise. Hail, Immanuel! Great Deliverer! Live forever in our lays, While our crowns of glory casting At his feet in rapture lost, We, in anthems everlasting, Mingle with the angel host.
4. But till that great consummation, That bright Sabbath of mankind, Till each distant tribe and nation Taste the bliss by God designed, Speed the gospel! Let its tidings Gladden every human mind! Be its silver trumpets sounded; Let the joyous echoes roll Till a sea of bliss unbounded Spreads on earth from pole to pole!
5. Then shall come the great Messiah, In millennial glory crowned; Israel’s hope, and earth’s desire, Now triumphant and renowned. Hail, Messiah! Reign forever! Heaven to earth reflects the sound. Heaven and earth with all their regions, At his footstool prostrate fall; Heaven and earth with all their legions Crown Immanuel Lord of all!
Compare different versions of the lyrics side-by-side: English