Crossing the Prairie
Author: Mary B. Weekes
Composer: Folk song
This song text has been indexed at SingPraises.net in the following languages:
- Chinese (Traditional): [Unknown title]
- Danish: Tværs over prærien
- Dutch: Dwars door woestijnen
- English: Crossing the Prairie
- Finnish: Pioneerit kulki halki preerian
- French: La route est longue
- German: Über die Prärie
- Icelandic: Yfir sléttuna
- Italian: Attraversando le praterie
- Japanese: [Unknown title]
- Korean: 초원을 건너
- Norwegian: Gå gjennom ørk’nen
- Portuguese: Cruzando os Prados
- Samoan: Sopoia le Fanua Laugatasi
- Spanish: Al cruzar los llanos
- Swedish: Fram över prärien
- Tongan: Hala Tuʻusi he Toafá
Most common tunes for “Crossing the Prairie”
This chart shows the tunes that are paired with this text most frequently, in hymnbooks and other collections published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If the text appears with the same tune in multiple editions or translations of the same hymnbook, it is only counted once.
Appearances of “Crossing the Prairie” over time
This timeline shows which tunes have been used with this text over time, in hymnbooks and other collections published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
English (Original Language)
1. Crossing the prairie, Pioneers so brave, Faced many dangers, But were unafraid.
2. Facing to westward, Resting now and then, Cooking by campfires, Pushing on again.
3. Braving the Indians, Keeping courage high, Sleeping at nightfall Underneath the sky.
Compare different versions of the lyrics side-by-side: English