The Morning Breaks
Author: Parley P. Pratt
Composer: Varies by tune (see below)
This song text has been indexed at SingPraises.net in the following languages:
- Albanian: Mëngjesi Nis
- American Sign Language: The Morning Breaks
- Bulgarian: Зора зазори
- Cebuano: Miabut nang Kabuntagon
- Chinese (Simplified): 晨光熹微
- Chinese (Traditional): 晨光熹微
- Chinese Pingyam (Romanized Cantonese): [Unknown title]
- Chinese Pinyin (Romanized Mandarin): Chénguāng xīwéi
- Croatian: Kad sviće tame nestaje
- Czech: Hle, úsvit stíny přemáhá
- Danish: Nu dagen gryr
- Dutch: De morgen daagt
- English: The Morning Breaks
- English Braille: ⠠⠮ ⠠⠍⠕⠗⠝⠔⠛ ⠠⠃⠗⠑⠁⠅⠎
- Estonian: Nüüd koidab päev
- Fijian: Mataka Sa Qai Kida Mai
- Finnish: Nyt aamu koittaa armainen
- French: Le jour paraît, chassant la nuit
- French (French Polynesia): Te Hiti Mai Nei te Mahana
- German: Der Morgen naht
- Hmong: Kaj Ntug Plaws Lawm
- Hungarian: A hajnal kél
- Icelandic: Sjá, dagur rís
- Indonesian: Pagi Tiba, Gelap Lenyap
- Italian: Le ombre fuggon, sorge il sol
- Japanese: 夜明けだ，夜明けだ
- Japanese (Hiragana): 夜明けだ，夜明けだ
- Japanese (Kanji): 夜明けだ，夜明けだ
- Kekchi: Xnumeʼ qʼojyin, kutan nachal
- Khmer (Cambodian): ថ្ងៃរះឡើងហើយ
- Korean: 동트니 날이 밝는다
- Latvian: Jau diena aust
- Lithuanian: Jau aušta rytas
- Maori: Takiri te Ata
- Norwegian: I denne skjønne morgenstund
- Polish: Nadchodzi świt
- Portuguese: A Alva Rompe
- Romanian: Zorii apar
- Russian: Проснулось утро
- Samoan: Ua Tafa Ata
- Spanish: Ya rompe el alba
- Spanish Braille: ⠠⠽⠁ ⠗⠕⠍⠏⠑ ⠑⠇ ⠁⠇⠃⠁
- Swedish: Se, dagen gryr och mörkret flyr
- Tagalog: Umaga Na
- Tahitian: Te Hiti Mai Nei te Mahana
- Thai: อรุณรุ่งเริ่ม
- Tongan: Kuo ʻAho Hake ʻa e Pō
- Ukrainian: Вже настає ранковий час
- Welsh: Y boreu ddaeth, a’r niwl sy’n ffoi!
Most common tunes for “The Morning Breaks”
This chart shows the tunes that are paired with this text most frequently, in hymnbooks and other collections published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If the text appears with the same tune in multiple editions or translations of the same hymnbook, it is only counted once.
Appearances of “The Morning Breaks” over time
This timeline shows which tunes have been used with this text over time, in hymnbooks and other collections published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
English (Original Language)
Hymns (1985, 2002), no. 1
1. The morning breaks, the shadows flee; Lo, Zion’s standard is unfurled! The dawning of a brighter day, The dawning of a brighter day Majestic rises on the world.
2. The clouds of error disappear Before the rays of truth divine; The glory bursting from afar, The glory bursting from afar Wide o’er the nations soon will shine.
3. The Gentile fulness now comes in, And Israel’s blessings are at hand. Lo, Judah’s remnant, cleansed from sin, Lo, Judah’s remnant, cleansed from sin, Shall in their promised Canaan stand.
4. Jehovah speaks! Let earth give ear, And Gentile nations turn and live. His mighty arm is making bare, His mighty arm is making bare His cov’nant people to receive.
5. —Angels from heav’n and truth from earth Have met, and both have record borne; Thus Zion’s light is bursting forth, Thus Zion’s light is bursting forth To bring her ransomed children home.
Compare different versions of the lyrics side-by-side: English